TO EAT | RECIPE
Even though the summer is at its end, there are still plenty of watermelons. I regularly buy a big one, as our kids really love this sweet and delicious fruit.
Sometimes the pastèque (as they are called in French) is so huge, that even we have difficulties finishing it. So I had to come up with a recipe to use up the leftover watermelon. This recipe comes from the Dutch Elle à Table and makes an original and fresh gazpacho out of watermelon. I really like it, and I’d love to hear what you think of it!
GAZPACHO WITH WATERMELON
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Fridge: couple of hours
- 800 gr watermelon + some extra to garnish
- 2 average-sized tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber + some extra to garnish
- 1 red bell pepper + some extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 cm piece of fresh root ginger, shredded
- ½ red chilli pepper (leave the seeds in for more spiciness)
- 1 red onion
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and blend until smooth. Put the gazpacho in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Before serving, garnish the bowls with some tiny cubes of watermelon, cucumber and bell pepper.
Hope you like it too!